What is the Wisconsin Music / Art/ Dance Registry?
The Wisconsin Music/ Art/ Dance Therapy Registry is the result of legislation which ensures that the public has access to these therapies by qualified professionals trained specifically in these fields. It is a title protection act. No one may use the title Wisconsin Music Therapist – Registered (WMTR) unless they are registered with the state of Wisconsin.

Why does Wisconsin have a registry for Music, Art, and Dance Therapists?
Wisconsin’s Music / Art / Dance Therapy Registry came about as a response to the Psychology Licensure Act (1995 WI Act 188). This legislation defined the practice of psychology in such broad terms that the fields of music, art, and dance therapy were in danger of being viewed as psychological services, instead of the unique services that they are. As a result, music, art, and dance therapists could be prosecuted for practicing psychotherapy without a license, limiting the rendering of our services to the public by qualified professionals.

How do I know if I need to register with the State of Wisconsin?

Registration with the State of Wisconsin is an individual choice for each person. It is not required by law that any one person become registered, however, it does offer protection for you as a music therapist. The Wisconsin Chapter for Music Therapy highly recommends that you register with the State of Wisconsin if you are working in private practice or consulting.
Registration is optional if you work under the following conditions:

  • if you are practicing within the scope of another license, permit, registration, certificate, or certification granted by the state of Wisconsin.
  • if you are an employee of a federal, state, or local government agency.

Click here to learn how to become a state registered music therapist.  Consumers are able to consult the Wisconsin Department of Regulation and Licensing website to confirm registration.  For other information about professional credentials obtained by music therapists, including board certification, please visit the American Music Therapy Association and the Certification Board for Music Therapists.