The music therapist, provides music therapy services under the direction of the clinical supervisor or clinical director and according to the individualized plan of care.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS/RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides direct music therapy according to directions of clinical supervisor / clinical director and in accordance with the plan of care.
2. Assesses referral/patient for appropriate medical indication for services and performs assessment to determine effectiveness of therapy.
3. Treats patient to relieve symptoms and provide psychological, psychosocial, physical, and spiritual comfort.
4. Directs and aids patients through music therapy interventions to assist with alleviating symptoms of anxiety, agitation, restlessness, depression, pain, emotional distress (patient and family), spiritual distress, and social isolation.
5. Assist patient with needs regarding relaxation, communication, family support,
anticipatory grief (patient and family), and interest in life legacy/review interventions.
6. Utilize interventions such as relaxation, imagery, lyric analysis, song writing,
reminiscence, entrainment, life review, receptive listening, and life legacy projects.
7. Observes and reports to the clinical supervisor or clinical director and the organization personnel the patient’s response to treatment and any changes in patient’s condition.
8. Provides education and awareness to clinical team regarding appropriateness or contraindications for therapy treatment.
9. Maintains necessary records; clinical notes, problem charting, coordination notes, which will be incorporated into the patient’s clinical record within 24-48 hours of session and modified as needed.
10. Participates in interdisciplinary group and organization in-service education program as needed.
11. Participates in the quality assessment performance improvement teams and activities as needed.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
The above statements are only meant to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job related tasks other than those stated in this description.